CASE Ohio Project: Adopt A BOE
- Work with Ohio Boards of Elections staff to understand current processes and advocate for improvements.
- Request information before the election
- Monitor elections on election day
- Participate in post election reviews and audits to evaluate election process
- This is a non partisan effort
- Relationships with BOE staff should be positive & constructive (even when we disagree)
- This is not an all or nothing effort. Each action in any county helps.
- We will provide formal requests for specific documents and have specific questions that you will take to the Board of Elections and work with them to get the needed documents and answers. These are in priority order in case we cannot do all of them.
- Vote Count Auditing
- Ballot/DRE Security
- Voting Machine Allocation
- Voter Purging
- Voter Registration
- Absentee Ballots
- Election Day Procedures
- Election Challenger Procedures
- Election Monitor Procedures
- Provisional Ballots
- Recount Procedures
- Review procedures/documents for problems and compare with other counties
- Lobby for improvements
- Contact the media if appropriate.
- Election monitoring
- Solicit volunteers to get poll monitors in as many precincts as possible.
- Volunteering as poll worker or precinct judge is also helpful.
- Participate in final audit of ballot and/or VVPAT counts before going to BOE.
- Record and. if possible take pictures, of final pre-tabulator totals
- Monitor security of DRE's
- Keep detailed notes of key events and any irregularities
- Bring a camera and take pictures where appropriate
- Perform an audit of actual results
- Prepare a report on the results, perhaps including a report card, and release to the media.
- Perhaps contact PB voters whose ballots were rejected